My current photo workflow

Here is my current photo workflow and back-up plan. This is the plan for my better than average pics, not generally rubbish shots of food etc.

TAKING PHOTOS

- Take photos with native iPhone app
- Take photos with Olympus Pen EPL-1 Micro 4/3 DSLR - shoot in RAW format

EDITING PHOTOS

- iPhone photos get edited with Snapseed, right on the iPhone. I'll document the process for this soon enough.

- DSLR photos either get:
    - Edited on the Macbook in Adobe Lightroom. JPEGs out of the camera look ok, but RAW always need edits.
    - JPEGs transferred to Android Tablet and edited in Snapseed.

SHARING PHOTOS

Typical process involves browsing to the Snapseed folder then:

- Instagram: I usually post to Instagram first. Instagram doesn't allow full frame pics, so there is always a cropping decision here. If I'm feeling lazy I'll check the box to post to Facebook. Sometimes I'll add a bit of a filter, but usually all editing is done before the photo gets to Instagram.

- Flickr: I have an IFTTT recipe that auto posts from Instagram to Flickr so I'm good there. The only drawback to this approach is Instagram massively compresses Photos, so my Flickr images are taking a bit of a hit. Going to need to think about this going forwards. I was a bit fan of Flickr for a long time, but gradually found myself using Instagram more, perhaps because none of my real life friends use Flickr.

- Twitter : Simple - copy and paste the description from Instagram, then post pic to Twitter

- Facebook: I Have been forced to download the horrible Facebook app. I used to be able to post through safari, but tagging and location has become difficult. If I haven't posted through instagram, I'll upload through the app.

- Blogger: I have a private personal blog hosted on Blogspot. I post diary type images up here. Typically they are sent in three ways. 1. Through the app 2. Via email to private address. 3. Through the web app.

BACKUP

A pretty important part of the process and something that I need to improve. I typically have photos backed up in the following:

- Macbook - current year's DSLR Pics
- 2 TB HDD - back-up of every digital photo
- Flickr Private Account - A full backup of every digital photo
- Flickr Public Account - A backup of my best public photos
- Google images - A full backup of every digital photo

CLEANUP

Something I need to improve - but I have too many files. I take a lot of photos. There is not a single day that goes by when I don't take a photo. Many of these are trash, so I need to get rid of them. I also need to get better at sticking photos in Albums or tagging them, as I take more photos I want to be able to get back and find the photo I liked two years ago.

That's it for now.

No comments:

Elevate

Hello fellow marketers. AI is great. But please stop copying and pasting the word elevate. ChatGPT by its own admission loves the word eleva...