Simple tips for using periscope at events

I've started using Periscope at the last few business events I've attended to broadcast live video. If you are new to live smartphone broadcasting, two of the popular apps are Meerkat and Periscope. I won't go into the details here, but my app of choice is Periscope. Here are few observations and tips from a novice smartphone broadcaster.

Observations using Periscope at events

- There are usually few people periscoping at the business events I attend. Even the organisers are slow to adopt this tech. I'm not suggesting I'm a trail blazer, but by day two of the conference I occasionally see the event organiser starting to stream. Could it be because they clocked me periscoping? Either way, it's a good way to get conversations started.

- Viewers peak at 10- 15 minutes then start to drop off. Even with the most compelling of speakers or topics, viewers are very transient in nature. Short and sweet is good.

- I've made business connections just by Periscoping. Several occasions delegates saying "I was sat behind you - that is cool you were presicoping - hi how are you?"

- I've had a few viewers who couldn't attend the event express thanks for sharing a broadcast.

Here are my 10 tips:

1. Get on the venue wifi or have unlimited data. Periscope chews through around 400mb of data every 30 minutes.

2. Find a decent location. Periscoping from the back of the room isn't great for anyone.

3. Be prepared. Fire up the app before the speaker, get the hashtags and title ready to go.

4. Get the event hash tags in - otherwise how will people find your broadcast?

5. Make sure you have "post to twitter" and "your location" enabled, again to maximise your coverage.

6. Hope that a good friend with lots of follows retweets you. Or tell them beforehand.

7. Make sure you are pointing at something relevant at the start of the broadcast. Otherwise you will have a shoe or the back of a head as a thumbnail for the broadcast.

8. Consider taking a old smartphone phone for periscoping. This leaves your main phone for tweeting or checking comments.

9. Show the face behind the camera. Viewers want to see who's broadcasting too.

10. Don't worry too much about the quality. This is live and raw, it doesn't need to be a polished production.

That's it. It's simple tech, experiment and have fun.

I'd love to hear your tips, or experiences with Periscope or Meerkat . I also have an interest in how "OTT" broadcasting like Pericope is disrupting the traditional models. Particularly for broadcasters and content owners. Happy to chat.

No comments:

Elevate

Hello fellow marketers. AI is great. But please stop copying and pasting the word elevate. ChatGPT by its own admission loves the word eleva...