Nested Cloud Storage


I have used free cloud based file sync services for years.  These services offer various levels of free storage depending on provider: Dropbox 5GB, Box 10GB, Onedrive 25GB and so on. For a number of reasons Dropbox is my favourite. But I have used different providers for subsets of my data that I need in the cloud. This has always had the drawback of not having a complete set of my cloud data in any single app.

So today I decided to nest my cloud drives. This is done by simply relocating the synced folders for each provider. My set-up is as follows:

Google Drive (30GB)
...>Onedrive (15GB)
    ...>Dropbox (5GB)

There are few advantages to this approach:

1. It is easy to navigate through all files.There aren't separate cloud folders scattered in the installer's default location.
2. Multiple cloud providers for backup. Using nested folders all subfolders are backed up to the next level up. Dropbox is backed up to both Onedrive and Google Drive.
3. The top level sync contains all files. I know where my cloud files are. I'm organised. But if I wasn't organised, I'd know that all my cloud files are in Google Drive, because of the nested folders.
4. Saving a file to dropbox makes it available to all services. This makes dropbox a good "inbox" for making files available for all services.

I'm not the first to do this, but this new trick (for me) is working pretty well so far.

No comments:

Elevate

Hello fellow marketers. AI is great. But please stop copying and pasting the word elevate. ChatGPT by its own admission loves the word eleva...